Our Loveless movie special is coming soon!

We're not just retailers... we're riders.

Four days with the new Dyna Low Rider

Want a piece in GKM on it? Let me know.

IMG_1107

I thought the new Dyna Low Rider looked great in the publicity photos… like a real chip off the old Shovel Low Rider's block. Two into one exhaust, twin gauge dash, slightly raked frame. My interest was piqued enough to try to arrange a road test. But of course, the reality was a podgier, more homogenous, less edgy but far more capable motorcycle.

The rather convoluted plan was to pick up the loaner bike from the depot in Gloucester on Monday, then ride it back to north Yorkshire via a couple of stopovers down south, looping back down to the south west on the Thursday. Of course, I hadn't really considered the distances involved or the fact I would be riding almost exclusively in driving rain and sleet and into fierce headwinds. Except for a few times biking into the west end years ago to work in the snow, I can remember few more miserable rides.

I spent Tuesday battling 220 miles up the M40/M1/A1 in truly horrendous conditions, having to stop at every services to wring out my gloves, warm up my hands and uncrick my lower back. I had a shoot arranged on Wednesday (Ian's '47 Knucklehead) and meant to ride the Low Rider down to Lincolnshire with my camera, but the shitty weather forced me into the van. Finally, on Thursday morning, the weather broke for an hour… enough to get a few shots of the Dyna on non-soaking roads.

The rest of Thursday was spent battling 200 miles of icy winds and rain back to Gloucester on the bike… although the sun came out, mockingly, for the last 40 miles.

I don't need to describe the misery of being freezing cold and soaking wet on a bike with only a quarter of a long journey completed… but at least I got enough material to write an account for HOG magazine. And the Low Rider? Powerful, torquey, fast, one-finger brake and clutch, sure-footed, smooth gearbox… the Harley-Davidson experience is truly a very different one for the 21st century! If the bike had been truer to its roots styling wise and a bit more of a brute I could really have gone for it.

Want a piece in GKM on it? Let me know.

Comments

• Yes Guy, not really a GKM bike but a different perspective on motorcycling. Certainly the kind of feature for the other type of mag we were talking about. Cheers. Ian

• God mate, now I comprehend the numbness caper . . . get it into the mag, please . . . I realise it's well outside the normal operating parameters but would love to read more.

• Alphonse Gabriel March 31, 2014 7:37 am

Hi the fact that you are questioning your thoughts means it don,t really belong in GKM even if the story is good.Ive had modern bikes and great story,s come with them also ,but it does;nt really belong in GKM ..

• Guy, What a pisser looks like you picked the wrong gig mate, I picked up the paper at the weekend & in what they euphemisticly call the "motoring section" Roland Brown reviewed the new Street Glide( in blazing sunshine in somewhere that looked suspiciously like Spain or the south of France) & the only thing he could find to bitch about was was that the screen on the Batwing isn`t adjustable. Christ it must be tough at the top !. Like Dog, I would be interested to read more of your (mis)adventure. Cheers Lloyd.

• Roger Chambers April 3, 2014 8:59 pm

Hi Guy, that pretty much sums up the modern Harley…..as you know I recently bought a 2014 Superglide. A bit more 'brute' would be nice and this can be achieved by the ubiquitous 'accessories and mods' available from your local…..you guessed it, dealer. I got mine with the stage one mods in the deal and I really like the bike and have done 1500 kliks in a week and a half. It will be my daily transport with some days on the rigid……must be getting old or smart!

• Go on, let's read the wise words. Two colleagues of mine who have ridden a demo enjoyed the 'new' Lowrider. But then they didn't ride in appalling conditions for similar length of time. Be interesting to read if comfort and handling and practicality of factory built versus custom build is worth the (less?) dosh. Ok, so custom build is more personal, but even a chromed wheel spacer from the H-D book is first rung of the customising ladder.